View Single Post
Old 2012-12-30, 23:30   Link #31
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.A. View Post
Like what the TC has pointed out, animations today no longer have 'transitions', this is the result of budget saving and also the preferred cinematography of the modern age, quick cuts that go straight to the point. The audience nowadays crave changes on the scene, they no longer want to stare at the same background where characters walk into the scene and perform simple actions that are actually animation intensive.

Also importantly, the modern audience no longer have the wonder and fascination of pure animation technique and artistry that people had back in the golden ages of animation. The modern audience have taken animation for granted as this has become something extremely common and not some kind of film magic. This is especially the case for the general anime audience, they are either more interested in the seiyuu speaking or insane action scenes to care about the skill put into animating a character sitting down and doing mundane stuff.
This was the main thing that I was thinking as well. A lot of anime nowadays are "filmed" the way you might shoot a regular movie in many senses, and the editing is similar. And in truth, when I go back to look at older anime, the "pacing" of the scenes often seems odd because it doesn't have the sort of "action-cut" approach that you see in modern film. Shots seem to often linger just a little too long, and dialogue seems a little bit stilted because it revolves around the animation of the scene rather than the tighter editing we see today (even if budget-saving techniques are used to mask the tighter cuts). So while, on the one hand, many people may look to anime to deliver themes and elements you won't find in mainstream film and TV (character designs may be one component of this), I think the overall cinematic approach isn't really all that different. (Perhaps that's partly why we've seen an increase smaller-scale anime films in recent years; all it takes is a slightly larger budget, and the potential gain from the dual revenue sources (box office and disc) can be more lucrative particularly for a franchise that already has a name for itself.)