View Single Post
Old 2008-08-10, 04:18   Link #56
Irenicus
Le fou, c'est moi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comrade View Post
Actually Germany would have lost the war in Europe anyway, even without US. Most of its manpower and resources were consumed by the Eastern front. The Allies only had to fight mostly second rate soldiers because the best troops were sent to the Eastern front to hold back the Soviet advance.
No. Just no.

Downplaying the Soviets' contribution is wrong. Downplaying the Allies' contribution is also very wrong.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom-Takaya
In fact, I think both Georgia and Russia are at fault. Georgia being the one that started this mess and Russia simply provoking the situation further with a show of over-muscle. What's happening between these countries is a typical example of how a situation can be blown out of proportion, thus making things worse and harder to solve.
On the other hand, a victorious war for Russia -- technically in self-defense, for now, though Georgia naturally claimed rebel provocation as casus belli -- means a much better position to ask for things unimaginable prior to that. I don't claim to know the future, but the Georgians look like they're about to be forced to give out some concessions to Russia as a price for their President's folly. In a conventional war, militarily, they don't stand a chance.

And we shall quietly ignore the fact that people are once again dying for their masters' visions and ambitions. This conflict looks like the kind of high-intensity war that can cause a lot of deaths, especially if the Georgians chose a mountain guerrilla campaign over a quick peace, and especially if it somehow escalates into something it should not become.

Just how much will the West be willing to intervene diplomatically, I wonder? And just how much will Putin listens?