View Single Post
Old 2011-11-03, 14:02   Link #1
Ricky Controversy
Frandle & Nightbag

Ricky Controversy Will Kill Your Eyeballs (Art and Design)

Those of you who know me are aware that visual art is not my forte. I am a writer, professionally, and my primary creative hobby is music. Heck, I have more ability in web design than visual art or graphic design. So what's this all about?

Well, many years ago--long before I determined that I should be a writer--I wrote and drew every day, usually for four to five hours at a stretch, trying to flesh out my (admittedly underdeveloped) concepts for video games. Now, I wasn't very disciplined about the drawing, especially not in comparison to the writing. I read constantly, and challenged myself all the time with hard material, and even straight-up dictionary browsing. Yet, I impatiently just tried to make whatever I wanted to appear on the paper appear fully formed without studying anatomy, perspective, lighting...any of those things.

Writing pushed art aside for me because I grew into a much stronger writer than an artist. But now, I find myself in a position where I'm doing very nearly all of my own promotional work, and I've had to dabble in some basic graphic design lately. I've enjoyed it, a lot. I've remembered the thrill of getting something visually represented just so that happened, albeit rarely, when I drew frequently. So I've decided to pick up these things I set aside now thirteen years ago and commit to the following things:

Every day I am physically able to, from now on, I will produce...

At least 1 full sketchbook page's worth of drawings.
At least 1 graphic design, be it a data visualization, photo-manipulation, background, etc.
At least 1 painting, digital or otherwise--but most likely digital.

The results will be posted on the day of their completion, as soon as all three are ready, and a 'day' shall be counted as one period of continued consciousness, since I have a habit of staying up well into the night.

Let me stress that I should be counted as a complete novice in all of these endeavors. My hope is that, over the next few years, I shall gain a modicum of skill through constant practice, but for the time being, do not expect anything too impressive. I would rather receive pointed, constructive criticism, and suggestions for reference material than generic compliments or assurances.

I will upload the first day's work tonight. In the meantime, so we don't start this off the wrong way without any content...

Here's an image I made for Moczo's wonderful Fate/Stay Night fanfiction, Chaos Theory. This illustrates about where I'm at with graphic design.