View Single Post
Old 2010-12-25, 14:49   Link #1845
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by FDW View Post
I tend to that think it was a fight with the editors over some aspect of Surprise (such as, say, Tanigawa wanting to put in something completely NSFW) that led to this block. We'll never hear about it though because that's the way japan tends to work.
That's certainly possible, and an interesting theory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clarste View Post
Even if it was writer's block, that doesn't mean it's still writer's block. For all we know he spent the time finding inspiration for and planning out another 10 books.
Fair enough. But I just think that people should stop automatically assuming that there's definitely going to be more than 10 books. There might very well not be, and I don't see the point in a person setting himself or herself up for disappointment (believe me, I've been there before; it's better if you can avoid it).

I hope that there is more than 10 books, but I no longer think that it's something that should just be assumed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
To be honest though, there is nothing unusual about an author taking years to publish a new book.
Depends on if the book is from a long-running existing series or not, and furthermore if that series is popular or not. In this case, the book would be from a long-running existing series, and it is a popular series. I mean, I don't recall Harry Potter having a layoff between two of its installments that was this great in length.

Let's be honest here - the ideal time (commercially speaking) for Novel 10 to have come out would have probably been sometime around (i.e. within a month or two) of the theatrical release of the Disappearance Movie. With the Disappearance Movie recapturing substantial broad interest in the Haruhi source material narrative, it would have been the perfect time for Haruhi Novel 10 to hit the stands.

Quote:
There doesn't need to be some horrible reason for the delay; it occurs so regularly amongst authors that really, we can't draw any conclusions from a hiatus.
I think that there's room for reasonable speculation.

I hope that there's several more novels, and that they all come out steadily one after another. But I'm not going to be getting overly optimistic here.