View Single Post
Old 2011-11-06, 03:24   Link #20
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Having taken time to watch older series, I haven't seen many anime that aired this year, but I'll pitch in.

Fractale
There was so much that could have been done with this story. In the end it was entertaining with some good moments that were overshadowed by obvious fail all around. What the heck were Okada and Yamakan thinking when they made this?

Infinite Stratos
I expected it to be rather lame and uninspired. It turned out to be horrible.

Kore wa Zombie Desu ka?
The first episode was so hilarious I was almost crying from laughter. While the next few episodes weren't quite as good, they were fairly consistent in their dark, offbeat presentation and humor. The start of the second arc suddenly lost most of that dark charm for me, and it also became strangely unfunny. The last 2-3 episodes of the second arc finally regained some of the style of the first arc, but the disappointment that I had felt for a while couldn't be wiped away.

Nichijou
This is on hold right now, but from the nine episodes I've seen, it's just a sad, unsuccessful attempt to make the audience laugh. It just might get better though, as it strangely happens with some comedies (it did for Seto no Hanayome).

Yumekui Merry
How could an anime that started off so good end so abysmally? Manga adaptations like this are why I prefer straight-to-the-source manga adaptations with cut off endings over attempts to close off with an anime-original ending.

I actually thought [C] was fairly good, despite how ridiculously rushed it got. While the story was doomed towards the end, there was at least some effort from the director to make a decent product out of it, unlike with Fractale. I still think it could have been a masterpiece if it was given enough running time, though. I wonder if I'm the only one who liked it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawnstorm View Post
How about balancing this thread with a "Positive surprises of 2011". Worth a thread?
Sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemiSoda View Post
Someone please make sure Seiji Kishi doesn't get a high profile anime anymore. He's already ruined both Angel Beats and Persona 4 for me
Hey, I liked Kamisama Dolls and Seto no Hanayome (despite how terribly the latter started off). He certainly has problems, but he can do quite a good job if given appropriate source material.
Tempester is offline   Reply With Quote