View Single Post
Old 2012-01-13, 19:31   Link #110
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Trying to steer this discussion away from the movie 2nd thread and into here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demi. View Post
Which could have been avoided with 1/4th the number of characters. Sure, some people may have liked the new characters, but there was such a huge excess of them in StrikerS, and a lot of them will never get development because they are simply not liked enough. Quality over quantity I say.

I think the Nanoha movie proved that the only reason StrikerS is the most popular of the three seasons, is because it was the franchises most recent installment. The Nanoha movie sales were better than any season and it was a remake of the season which did the worst. A's had a huge hurdle to overcome, because the first season was not taken too highly, meanwhile, strikers was a direct sequel to a great season.
One thing I think is great about this types of discussions, is that it highlights the fact that people like or dislike Nanoha based on their tastes. The stories themselves are fairly good, no major holes, just minor issues here and there. So some people can dislike StrikerS, while others like it.

Myself, I liked StrikerS. Yeah, it had a lot of characters, and some could have used more development, but I think it succeeded fairly well at what it set out to do: expand the in-story universe. And show how our girls have grown up and developed in this world. The story was entertaining, too, and the last few episodes are the best I've ever scene. I can't count the number of times I've rewatched Nanoha blasting Quattro, and Zest's death with Agito crying "Danna!"

Force and Vivid I like for different reasons; Force has more of an interesting and involving story that I find myself eager to see what happens next. And Vivid has greatly expanded magical styles and a bit of lore. Both also have bad points (Vivid having more of them), but given what's out there, Nanoha in general is fairly good, even when it's at it's worst.

The movies, on the other hand, I feel are actually not quite as a good. They are a decent watch, but it feels like, trying to up the quality, meant the quantity suffered. You need a good blend of both, but a lot of it is subjective. I just felt the first film took the first season's most glaring flaw (lack of explanation of Nanoha's family and past) and just made that flaw bigger.

So it's not a simple matter of quality or quantity. It's subjective to a large degree, but the Nanoha series as a whole, added a whole lot of interesting concepts they introduced to the magical girl genre, and to anime in general, that really make them good stories... even if the stories aren't your particular cup of tea.