Thread: Licensed + Crunchyroll Chihayafuru
View Single Post
Old 2011-11-30, 18:30   Link #601
Dawnstorm

@Taichi:

This show makes me realise that I tend to approach shows in terms of "social constituents". That is: you have individuals and relations, and some of those relations are "more than the sum of its parts".

Taichi and Chihaya are clearly a social constituent. It's this that makes "shipping wars" possible, but romance is only a particular angle at which you can few the situation. So:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperborealis
As Dawnstorm pointed out some posts ago, Taichi does complement Chihaya to help her navigate social relationships. We see that very clearly in this episode, where Taichi keeps Chihaya from pushing Tsutomu and Kana too hard. Good on him--but he doesn't do it very well. Notice how they are silent and uncomfortable with each other at dinner. And notice how she internalizes his point later that night--she takes his words as the confirmation of the low opinion other people have about her for being "blind to everything but karuta," and tells herself "I'm no good. / No good at all." They don't communicate well. What girl wants a boyfriend who makes her feel like that?
I sort of agree with you here, but I come from a different angle. The first thing I note is that you refer to me as saying that "Taichi complements Chihaya". This is clearly part of my position, but the complete sentence would be "Taichi and Chihaya complement each other". If you single out Chihaya as the "centre of gravity" and frame their relationship as potential romance, you can easily come to the conclusion you do. But to priviledge Chihaya like that is to de-emphasise the social constituent Taichi-Chihaya. So when you say:
And notice how she internalizes his point later that night--she takes his words as the confirmation of the low opinion other people have about her for being "blind to everything but karuta," and tells herself "I'm no good. / No good at all." They don't communicate well.
you're right. But the conclusion would be they need to learn to communicate better, no? Just as Chihaya is "soically blind", Taichi has "success issues". This is why Taichi looks at the Karuta club in terms of success strategies, and doesn't get that to Chihaya winning isn't as important as being part of a team. (Why didn't Chihaya make friends in the karuta society she'd used to practise? It's at least partly because - to her - winning was a means to keep up that social consituent. She simply liked her role therein a lot.)

And this is sort of the point: neither Taichi nor Chihaya are natural team players. Chihaya has the attitude, but not the skills. Taichi has the skills, but not the attitude. Together, though, they make the karuta club possible. And that's because - even if they don't get each other - they trust each other enough to listen in critical situation. That goes both ways.

Notice how Nishida replied to Chihaya's apology in terms of group coherence: "Sure, you're a bit bossy. But every group needs someone like that." This is a lesson both Taichi and Chihaya have to learn: group think for coherence' sake.

[qutote]but hitting your wanna-be girl-friend with your phone on the head is pretty unsublimated violence. [/quote]

Actually, I think you have to hit Chihaya to break through her enthusiasm, when you need to change the topic. She didn't really notice Taichi's changed posture, did she? (If she did, she didn't bother to react to it.) It's simply the most effective way to communicate with her. You don't do it to strangers, but Taichi and Chihaya have known each other for quite some time; long enough to know what works. I wouldn't read too much into that. I think he hit her to save time and nerves; didn't relish having to point 3 - 5 times towards that message before Chihaya finally notices that he has something to tell her.
Dawnstorm is offline   Reply With Quote