Thread: Licensed Negima Manga Discussion
View Single Post
Old 2012-05-26, 08:04   Link #8496
OverMaster
Zok, Biff, Pow, Wham.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keroko View Post
Good grief! Could you miss the point any further? My point is that perverted jokes like that have always been part of Negima and should not be taken this seriously. This includes the onion thing, which I will remind you again is a well-known Japanese folk remedy that is often played for comedy. Using it in a story is about the same level as hitting people on the head to cure amnesia or scaring people to cure hiccups.
No, you are the one missing my point, although I suspect you're doing it on purpose. This wasn't just a typical onion joke, although that already was in bad taste on itself no matter how old those are (prison rape jokes are old as well, by the way). This was an instance of Akamatsu using that joke to add mental rape on top of it, to the point Negi was tearing up, and by that point, it had stopped being funny so badly it crossed all the way into disgusting territory. Right when most of those girls knew Negi had undergone serious stress protecting their lives. Right when they knew he had experienced the shock of discovering his father had been possessed, and right when he was doing important things to save a whole world. All for the sake of satisfying their curiosities without caring at all about the consequences. Simplify it all you want, it doesn't change the point it was horribly callous, selfish and abusive from 3-A, and it didn't do anything good for Chizuru's character especially since she was the 'executor' hand.

This wasn't done to cure hiccups or amnesia. This was mental intrusion and attempted control just to sate a selfish desire for childish 'revenge' and curiosity from girls who already should know better. Against someone who had literally done almost everything for them.

Good grief, indeed!

Edit: And for the use of the onion gag as something that stalled Chizuru's character even before this, I stand for it. Even if you don't mind the occasional gag on it, this was in the Flanderization level of Makie's 'Fail' joke in the anime, just within the series itself. When you think of Yue, you think of Badass Bookworm. Nodoka is Moe with a streak of badass, Ayaka has several layers for a character with relatively little panel time, Asuna and Chisame are more complex than most Tsunderes, and so on... while Chizuru is Onion-Up-Butt girl. Yeah.

Last edited by OverMaster; 2012-05-26 at 08:15.
OverMaster is offline   Reply With Quote