View Single Post
Old 2009-06-26, 19:55   Link #74
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by aldw View Post
I've always approached this series as a silly escapism and not much else, so trying to present a pseudo-intellectual dislike of a show as a self-evident truth for not being something else shows is but a demonstration of petty critical chauvinism. Seriously I have to take Aroduc's critiques as being far more intellectually honest even when he goes a little carried away at times...
Why is it that I am getting the impression that people are insisting that I absolutely have to love everything about these characters otherwise there's something wrong with how I'm watching the show? When has my commentary ever been phrased in a pseudo-intellectual manner? This whole time I've just been giving my reactions to the episodes and I fail to see anything I have done wrong in the slightest in sticking to my opinion and right to state that episode by episode these characters have stagnated and just never got anymore interesting.

Yes I am criticizing this show for not being something else in having had characters that actually evolved and grew. Is this a problem? For me the problem is that in order to escape into a show I actually have to be engrossed by it throughout the majority of the episodes run time. K-On was rarely engrossing to me and thus viewed as escapism it was a failure. What else do people want me to say? Do they want me to lie? Cause right now I am being honest. Apparently that's not exactly good enough though and I have to find something extra special in a series that just doesn't warrant me to. If people want me to lie then let me know because really it doesn't bother me either way at this point since people already know the truth.