View Single Post
Old 2013-02-12, 10:59   Link #31891
jjblue1

Quote:
Originally Posted by haguruma View Post
I would say, by comparison Higurashi season 1 was the worse adaptation, but the superior anime in and of itself. It was not left with that much a cliffhanger (though still pretty big) and managed to characterize at least it's main cast to a certain degree. Umineko managed to cram everything of major importance into that one season, but basically cast all characterization and atmosphere aside in several places. It serves it's purpose as an introduction or reminder, but doesn't do that much as a work on it's own.
Higurashi on the other hand managed to leave almost all major hints out of the anime and made it way more complicated than it needed to be.
Well, the first series of the Higurashi anime was, in my opinion, lacking in matter of plot and seemed an excuse just for the horror. However the characters were well portrayered. One could sympathize with them, slowly get to know them and more or less understand why they did what they did.
Higurashi however has a small cast. Umineko starts with a huge cast that keeps growing. By the end of the anime I had hard time remembering all the characters or having an opinion about them as they felt... skimmed over.

There's to say that Ep 1 of the manga is even worse than the anime as it seems to be a summary of the anime but the following episodes slowly improve while with the anime is the inverse.
Ep 4 is so summarized I would have preferred if they had cut it entirely.
jjblue1 is offline   Reply With Quote