View Single Post
Old 2012-09-17, 10:33   Link #81
eplipswich
The Anime Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultimatemegax View Post
The calendar at the beginning of the episode showed April, but the actual festival occurs on March 3. I do not know why Gatou/Takemoto changed it.
To further elaborate on karice67's post, here's a link http://www.ginkoya.com/pages/girlsday.html, plus some explanation below.

The festival used to be held on March 3 of the Chinese lunar calendar, which Japan used to follow. It is now March 3 on the Gregorian calendar. However, there are certain areas of Japan that still follow the Chinese Lunar calendar, hence they celebrate on April 3 instead of March 3. Chitanda's area is one of them. Another reason is because of the peach blossoms as stated below (yeah, they're peach, not cherry).

A quote from the first link:

"Momo-no-Sekku used to be held on the 3rd of March according to the Lunar Calendar, though today it is actually not until early April that the peach blossoms begin to bloom, and that is how the name of this festival came about."

P.S. I got part of the info from Japanese Wikipedia as well, which is more accurate than English Wikipedia. And I can read and understand Japanese fairly well

I only watch highly recommended animes ~ ~

Last edited by eplipswich; 2012-09-17 at 10:55.