View Single Post
Old 2009-10-27, 19:12   Link #1594
magnuskn

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
I wouldn't say undoubtedly, even if most viewers felt that Alto was leaning more towards Sheryl at the time. Obviously, there was plenty of romantic tension building up between Alto and Sheryl during the course of episodes 19-24, but it's hard to pinpoint exactly where his sympathies lie. To me it felt more like Alto was being caught up in his circumstances, being caught in the flow of the moment. Ranka's departure left him confused as to what his priorities actually were, since I could imagine he wanted to go out and bring her back but couldn't because of the danger Frontier was in and of course, Sheryl's condition.
Of course personal bias comes into it a bit when I say "undoubtedly" and if you watch those episodes from a certain point of view, I agree that you *can* say that Alto was just going along, playing his part etc. Essentially taking up Yasaburos argument. I think that is the wrong point of view, but I can *see* how people arrive at that POV.

However, I think I can prove with charts, if necessary, that no Alto / Ranka was in the books, if one follows basic storytelling logic. I can't predict nonsensical endings, of course ( I think the short name for those endings is "Canvas 2"? ) , but following the whole character developments and story, going forward from episode 17 to the end, they killed off the possibility of Rankas feeling being responded to by Alto. With prejudice.

I think we went over all of this half a year ago, but if you insist, I can lay this out in detail once more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeX-kun View Post
I know this is going to sound redundant but I just can't get over these points. As soon as Alto found out about Sheryl's sickness, he turned all mushy and began being as kind as he could be to her. Then there is the point of Alto seeing his mother in Sheryl and yes, I know there are characters that fall in love with someone that reminds them of their mother, but her situation is just so convenient that I believe Alto was being caught up in the moment. Alto has a tendency to want to protect Ranka all the time but after she left, he couldn't remain ignorant to what was going on around him. And so Sheryl now needed Alto and he was there to oblige.
Alto was not seeing his mother in Sheryl, unless you mean in the superficial sense of him comparing her situation of being in danger of dying young with his mother. Yeah, on that account he offered to take care of her so that she could die peacefully, but she rebuffed him immediately and strongly.

He had a short flashback to his mother when he saw her in that kimono, but that was simply a moment of remembering his mother being in that very room, wearing that very kimono in that very pose. Sheryl looks totally different than his mother and they don't seem to share a personality.

I concede that he made an effort of being less confrontational after he knew of Sheryls disease, but this does not negate the development they had before that moment. There was a lot of build-up with them, which was simply nudged into another ( less desirable, for sure ) direction when he became aware of her V-Type infection. With Ranka, there was something I'd label a "build-down", so to say, since episode 17.

And I will say it again, wanting to protect someone =/= being in love with someone. Him being concerned about Rankas safety is not something I'd label as romantic love.