View Single Post
Old 2011-12-04, 13:37   Link #138
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
I'm not fully clear on Kariya's motivations for wanting Tokiomi dead. Is it just because he has a thing for Aoi himself, or loves the daughters like his own and doesn't like what happened to Sakura?

I only ask so I can actually know how I'm supposed to feel about him. Because this episode showed Tokiomi having a caring fatherly side to Rin, so if Kariya just wants him dead for some selfish reason, not so sure I'm completely cool with that, even if giving Sakura up was an unbelievable crime.
I don't recall Kariya ever stating he wants Tokiomi dead. It's obvious he resents him a lot for discarding Sakura, but as of yet he hasn't gone as far as to say that he wants him dead. Though it could certainly be the case.

Regardless, while there have been some bits of insight into Kariya's character and hints regarding his inner motivations, anything at this point is mostly just interpretation and speculation still, so you're just setting yourself up for being answered with unwanted novel information with a question like that.

Anyway, I agree that there's a lot of different factors involved, but as I see it what ticks Kariya the most is that Tokiomi has the family of his dreams, yet acts coldly and indifferent towards them and was even willing to rid himself of one of the daughters, whom Kariya would've gladly raised himself. It's very natural to get pissed off at someone that takes away from you everything you've ever wanted and then treats it with disdain and indifferently discards it. Kariya doesn't give a crap about magi tradition and would've treated Aoi and her daughters with the utmost care and affection if he'd given the opportunity to do so. But he wasn't, because some cold magus bastard got it instead, and took the place Kariya wishes and likely feels should have been his. That reality had likely caused him suffering long since before the Holy Grail War even came into the equation, but with Sakura's situation it escalated to a whole new level. And obviously it doesn't help that his body has been made to suffer excruciating pain and now possesses an actual expiration date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haak View Post
(he can only obtain the Grail by killing Tokiomi)
Not exactly. Killing his Servant would suffice.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote