View Single Post
Old 2013-08-11, 15:35   Link #32730
Renall
BUY MY BOOK!!!

Regarding the knock: Lambda always speaks in negatives when using red about the letter and knock. "Soandso didn't touch the letter" or "soandso didn't make the knocking sound by doing this or that." Negative statements remain true even if the thing they're discussing is a non-event. I can say "I wasn't at the store on Main Street today," even if I was on Main Street, if there isn't any store on Main Street.

If you reach from the reds the conclusion that no one could have placed the letter, it isn't a contradiction; it's a contraindication that the condition described could have been true in the first place.

The problem, I think, is in the translation. Lambda uses "the" as an article for the letter/knock in a few places, but I think it's clearly intended that she should be using "a" in all such instances. This is probably something that isn't like that in the original script, at least not as we'd understand it linguistically.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kealym View Post
At this point I'm willing to argue that the manga supports my "Kanon has a body just this once" idea. One of the boons of the manga has been visual clarification, and Kanon is in very plain sight during the scenes in question.i
Here's the issue I have with that:
  • Furudo Erika only increases it by one person.
  • Besides her, the number of people on this island is exactly the same as it was in the previous games.
  • In other words, the number of people in this parlor now is equal to the total number of people on this island.
The only way around this is to say Kanon was always a "person" but never an existent independent body. But that gets dangerously close to letting us say Kinzo is a "person" or "character" even though he's dead, because doesn't exist == doesn't exist. Someone else trying to perpetrate the appearance of his existence is philosophically indistinct from Yasu posing as Kanon to validate the appearance of his existence.

Plus, per the end of ep6, Kanon and Shannon aren't two people. And we can't give him a body but not personhood, because that's impossible (or at least cheating).
This story is a redacted confession.

Blog (VN DL) - YouTube Playlists
Battler Solves The Logic Error
Renall is offline   Reply With Quote