View Single Post
Old 2012-05-12, 14:25   Link #21
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by From: Kiritsugu
Dear Natalia,

I never told this, but I always thought of you as the fire that kept me going through this dark world. For that, today on your special day, I want you to see just how big of an impact you made on me.

Love from your son, Kerrytugu
Happy Mothers Day, Natalia.

And she was just one day from retirement too. Isn't it sad Natalia?

So, I saw on twitter that this apparently wasn't actually Heart of Freaks? If so, I'm inclined to believe ufotable Studio is actually filled with a bunch of sadistic bastards lol

I must say, I truly pity Kerry. He will forever live with that crying face of his, believing in a broken philosophy that leads only to despair, with no hope and no way back. If you think about it, Natalia is to blame for this out come as well, since she's the one who taught and got Kerry on this path, and the one who got it into his head to kill everyone (I was kidding she said lol Too bloody late for that Natalia-san! Dude is seriously going to kill every person he sees as evil in the entire world!).

I think this is where the writing for this show really shines through. It's where characters like Kerrytugu that I at worst despise and think they deserve what is coming for them and at best think only of them as interesting to watch but can never agree with their world view (in fact, I find what Kerry does to be repulsive) can be shown not in a sympathetic light, but in an understanding one. I could get how this kid transformed from a child into a killer, I could see his motivation and ideal forming into the one the man is using currently, I can understand how he came to become so broken, see the conflict. And in the end, my feelings are replaced with feelings of pity for him.

I still don't like Kiritsugu at all, but thanks to this two part flashback a really fascinating lead to watch.

Also, major kudos to Rikiya Koyama. The man had been giving a very subdued performance to Kiritsugu throughout this series, only giving us small glimpses of emotions every now and then , but the end with this episode he just went all out and made me seriously believe that Kiritsugu had in fact cracked completely.

With that all said
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba View Post
I think UFOtable's mistake was to put Kiritsugu's origin story that late in the series, when they could have been used as "breather" episodes in both seasons. Putting them the way they did have broken the flow of the story for me. Thanksfully, we are back into the action in the next ep.
I'm sort of inclined to agree with this. I think that having a flashback this late, while admittedly a great flashback on it's own right and pretty enlightening to Kiritsugu's character, I think this could've been better implemented much earlier in the series rather at it's final stretch.

Regardless, this was a greatly enjoyable couple of episodes. Next week is back to the main conflict!