View Single Post
Old 2011-12-03, 15:31   Link #1
Ledgem
Love Yourself

2011 Wireless Router Recommendations?

Greetings all,

My router of choice was the D-Link DGL-4300. My first one was totally solid; it could handle tons of torrent activity and achieve massively long up-times without needing to be rebooted. I ended up giving it to my parents. I bought another one second-hand (they don't make them anymore) and it's been giving me some trouble, occasionally becoming inaccessible to wireless connections and seemingly requiring a reboot every two or three days. I'm still tweaking it to see if I can get it to be as stable as my first one, but who knows - perhaps there's a reason why the original owner put it up for sale.

In light of that, I'm considering what a valid, more modern replacement would be. My two major uses for the network at this point are torrents and long video conferences. I'd like something that can handle those tasks, and that doesn't need to be rebooted more than once or twice a year, if that. Wireless N with the 5 GHz band capabilities would be nice, but I only really need wireless G (or wireless N with 2.4 GHz-only). Ideally I'd like to spend no more than $50, but if you have a recommendation that's more than $50 and under $200, please tell me and I'll keep an eye out for it during sales events.

Thanks for the suggestions!