View Single Post
Old 2012-12-03, 18:17   Link #47
Helius

Thanks for the amazingly detailed review, duckroll.

I'm glad to hear that the CG animation isn't as crappy as has been feared by many. Looks like they're on the right track to making cel-shading a mainstream thing, lots of possibilities there!

It's nice to see that they've elected to re-invent Cyborg 009 to deal more with the issues in the current socio-political climate. I'd be interested to see what sort of outlandish philoso-psycho babble they've concocted this time.

From your description, it seems to me that Kamiyama was juggling between the commerciality of the Cyborg 009 franchise and the preservation thereof as an art form. In a way I can see where he's coming from. But his concerns are unnecessary imo, when you put into perspective the fact that the manga was created first and foremost to appeal to shounens and shoujos alike. For it to have some sort of deeper meanings or undertones in the stories the author presented were purely incidental hence should not be seen as the main focus of the manga.

The themes and ideas in the manga, same as those in found in the works of Osamu Tezuka, are so highly regarded nowadays because they were original and fresh then. So I don't think it should be treated with a sort of sacred reverence per se. To make a wholly personal and esoteric film based on that mentally purely out of ones own nostalgic experience would be a mistake imo. A commercial film does not mean it has to be generic. While they do seem to go hand in hand in most cases, it therefore takes a true genius to make a film that can be relevant and entertaining to the masses and still convey the same sense of awe and wonder as when one first read the manga.
Helius is offline   Reply With Quote