View Single Post
Old 2008-04-09, 23:54   Link #41
Voduar

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrimzonStriker View Post
Your kidding right? What commander doesn't have to treat his subordinates as pawns sometimes, that's the name of the game in war, and its very understandable.
Hrmm, if I were wiser I'd let this pass, so I will only respond with this: When several of your friends are enlisted, I sincerely hope their commanders act with a bit more consideration of the value of their lives.

On topic, I will remind me you that throughout Lelouch barely cares about his rebellion or his Black Knights, culminating in him flat out abandoning them all in the middle of a fight to save one apparent parapalegic. Now, if he'd just sent someone to assist her, I would view it differently, but he apparently fragged the battle by his flight.

To be a little more specific on why he is a hypcorite, it isn't just that he values people differently. Its that he does it so dramatically. He seems to have no problems slaughtering Britannians that do not go to his own school, and he has very few qualms about letting Japanese die in the aftermath of his military acts. Yet, he stalls his own military operations a number of times due to Suzaku, possibly leading to great losses. Also, he is perfectly fine totally subverting someone's better interest with Geass in the vast majority of cases, but again he lets the Suzaku thing screw with his judgement, and this leads to tragedy. Consider how different this story would be if around ep 12 Lelouch had ordered Suzaku, "Live and die for Nunally." Lives would have been saved, and he could get that peaceful world for his sister with the confidence that she has a tireless protector.

Perhaps my point is better proven by how little he cared for his own rebellion. Think of any moment in the series where the 11s are not ones he has met already or are not famous. He spends the lives of those with neither concern nor apparent interest. What strikes me as horribly egregious, however, is again how little he has invested in this fight that he runs off so calmly, leaving his pawns to their own fate. The hypocrisy, while understandable, is not terribly forgiveable, as it seems to indicate he has a low opinion of his allies, separate from his disinterest in their survival.

Sorry, long post. Pawns arent pawns when they have names.
Voduar is offline   Reply With Quote