View Single Post
Old 2012-07-11, 19:25   Link #84
Shining Celebi
a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronin myael View Post
i read in a recent article that the number one most-read book is the bible. the second book was about buddhism. hp is in the top five. even twilight made it to the list. but of course the question is, was that survey accurate? i'm not sure.
No. If you go by sales figures, HP doesn't come anywhere close to top 5. Neither does Twilight.

(EDIT: I just checked, to be as favorable toward HP was I could - if you exclude all religious texts, and lump every book by author together to count toward the total, HP comes in somewhere between 10-15. For comparison, Dean Koontz is also in that range, and I can say I've never read a single of his books nor have any idea what they're about - I think it's quite possible Kishimoto could know nothing more of HP than "something about wizards.")

Quote:
but i made that statement with that article in mind. popularity-wise, hp is more well-known than naruto,
In America. Harry Potter was a worldwide hit, but its popularity in Japan is not at the same level it is in the English-speaking world.

Quote:
i never said the two stories are the same but there are some similarities, especially when it comes to its two main villains and two lead characters. anyway, my point is the cursed seals do remind people of the horcruxes and that's why oro's revival seemed ridiculous.
I didn't think of Horcruxes, and I've read both. It's a pretty common trope used a jillion times. It's not like Rowling invented the idea of "piece of yourself sealed away in something used for resurrection." The diea is incredibly common in both shounen and typical fantasy, where death is cheap.

Last edited by Shining Celebi; 2012-07-11 at 19:36.
Shining Celebi is offline   Reply With Quote