View Single Post
Old 2010-05-19, 08:57   Link #63
ChainLegacy
廉頗

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I haven't come across "compatibilism" until you referred to it. At first blush, it strikes me as being similar to the way an agnostic might approach the God question, meaning you're simply hedging your bets instead of making a clear stand.

My belief is simply that "free will" is real. It's not just some abstract construct created out of idle thought. It has basic parts but, at the same time, it is not completely controlled by those parts. The expression of "free will" is independent of its parts, as commonsense, everyday observations would suggest.
Compatibilism isn't quite like agnosticism. Rather than saying one or the other may be true, a compatibilist believes a determinist universe does not exclude some degree of will on the part of the agent. For example, one could argue that the universe's physical laws, as well as an agent's genetic makeup, are already set-in-stone. But the agent can exhibit his will when making a decision. When we make decisions, we weigh our options, and ultimately make a choice based on a number of factors including intelligence, culture, and the current state of being the body is in. The options that come to us are most definitely determinist. I can't will myself into randomly considering different solutions. We are simply bound by what our unconscious throw at us. However, some may argue that at the point in which these possible choices 'load' to the conscious, decision-making sphere, we do get to choose the answer. How we formulate our choice is again influenced by predetermined factors, but ultimately that moment of choice can be considered our will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
Which is to say, if a computer knows every single particle that you consist of, it can solve in advance every single choice you will make in your entire lifetime.
This is not true even by a completely determinist model. The computer would have to be of course, far, far more powerful than the current ones we possess. Even then, the computer would somehow have to possess knowledge in advance as to exactly what environment and circumstances the agent will encounter for the rest of its life. Our makeup plays a part, but it is only one piece of the pie, especially for humans, since we are extremely adaptable animals.

Last edited by ChainLegacy; 2010-05-19 at 09:26.
ChainLegacy is offline   Reply With Quote