View Single Post
Old 2010-11-07, 14:54   Link #186
zette

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yui Is My Wife View Post
Don't kill me for this, Azunyan fans:

What allowed Azunyan to win Saimoe 2010?

Sure, she's small and cuddly, I'll admit. My heart still melts every time I watch her and Azunyan-Mark2 yawn-together and the latter jumping in her lap and being petted. And Episode 9 of season 1 is still regularly played on my PSP to get the "Aww" feeling of her being hugged and having cat ears for the first time.

But the criteria of "Saimoe" is "cuteness" right?

If anything, Azunyan is an uptight and overly serious girl that is so eager to grow up that most of the time she can really come across as cold, crabby, grouchy, and much too mature to be truly "cute." Likable, yes. Small and Cuddly yes. Adorable.... maybe.

She is just too cold, mature and serious to come across as someone who would win a contest for being sweet, innocent and endearing.
The criteria for Saimoe is, well, moe. Now you can say that an inherent quality of moe is cuteness, but moe itself is a complicated term that has different meanings to different people. What I find moe, you may not necessarily view it that way. One man's trash is another man's treasure, they say.

Azusa's traits that you mention are the very traits that make me view her as moe. It's how she tries so hard to portray an image of maturity and seriousness but yet always succumbs to the band's antics and ends up dropping the facade. Yes, it's easy to label her as "cold, crabby, grouchy and much too mature", and I myself tend to hate the characters that are srs bsns all the time, but for Azusa, if you were to look beyond the veneer, you can see that deep inside she, just like the likes of Yui and Ritsu, is a typical teenager that wants nothing more than to have a fun time. The way she tries to manage between the two complete opposites of her image of maturity and the band's childishness is personally very endearing.