View Single Post
Old 2011-09-30, 23:44   Link #126
-Antares-
Nope.
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
For me, talking about it helps a lot. When I'm depressed it's very easy for me to retreat inwards and see no one, becoming a recluse. In that kind of circumstance, when I speak to nobody for days, maybe even weeks at time, it's very easy to slip into quasi-delusional thinking (it's extremely difficult to explain).

When I talk to someone about my troubles it grounds me in reality again. It allows me to let off steam. The great thing about shrinks is that they don't judge you or anything, doesn't matter how weird you are, or whatever you come out with, they'll sit and listen, and they'll ask you the right questions to try and help you get to the root of your problems.

It also helps relieve the loneliness, just having someone listen really takes a load off.

That makes sense. When I was depressed I was probably barely a preteen, so of course I was always surrounded by my family. I never felt any real loneliness, just a lot of helplessness. And I think I understand what you mean with the delusional thinking. That seems to happen when someone has zero communication with others for too long. When I first moved out on my own, I didn't get the internet set up for a few weeks and didn't talk to anyone over the phone or in person, and I eventually started noticing that my thoughts were becoming somewhat extreme and illogical. I can only imagine what would happen if someone did that when they were depressed.

I guess I just wasn't the type of person that needed therapy to begin with. I always had someone I could talk to, and my depression was initially caused by chronic medical problems that nothing and nobody could/knew how to fix.

You people don't actually talk to each other, do you? No way you could be this dysfunctional as a team and contradict each other if you did. Power trips not appreciated regardless.
-Antares- is offline   Reply With Quote