Old 2012-11-10, 00:46   Link #31
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightbatŪ View Post
I work with guitaramps
here there's the old "Tube vs Solidstate" -now with an added "/Modeling" debate

think it's impossible to recreate the nonlinear/chaotic distortion tube amps provide?
20 years ago, I'd say 'yeah', a decade later things sounded like badly done solid state

...but the past decade things have improved at a considerable rate, where there are already enough examples where the ear won't be able to win a blind () test

It may be a while, but at a certain point a CG rendering program, like with DAW sequencers, will have an option called "humanize" or "swing"
and I'm convinced that -as long as you manage to cram in enough 'random number generators',
there will be more and more needed imperfections inserted in the object to make it give a more human/chaotic feel
I've experimented with several amps, guitars and DAWs myself to understand your point. However, are we solving the problem or turning a blind eye? Technically, it's just hiding the fact it's emulated, and with enough use under both or enough knowledge, you'll always be able to separate them. It's not exactly perfect emulation.

Examples in both departments again.

5:34 onwards, I consider this to be one of the greatest tones ever for a guitar. I'm not even that big on Pink Floyd but this sound is just hypnotizing and it's something I've never ever been able to recreate, no matter how much I change amps and alter sounds through DAWs. It's also individually specific, which is why art forms are so unique.

Also, the reason I mentioned Clannad was that it's the perfect visual representative of what I mean. The regular portions are clearly hand-drawn and are quite nice looking for what they are too. The alternative world is CG- conspicuous CG, to be exact. You can tell when they've swapped because something feels different and off to you as you feel the transition. It's a great example because it happens as you sit and experience it.

Unless you were trained in both sounds for several years and could split each wave of sound down to its purest forms, and then play both at the same time, I don't think it's a fair assumption to say it's the same. Sure, it's close in emulation, but it just won't be the exact same, and there's a charm to that.