View Single Post
Old 2013-02-02, 01:31   Link #447
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:
Originally Posted by judasmartel View Post
I found this particularly interesting when people were comparing Haru from Accel World and Kirito from SAO. So people complain that Haru was too wimpy, and yet complain that Kirito was TOO powerful.
I guess it's a matter of degree of portrayal. I don't think Haru being a wimp or Kirito being badass is inherently good or bad. But from what I've seen both shows tend to overemphasize these things way too much for their own good. In other words I get the feeling of "Oh, Haru's going to talk about how worthless he is", or "Kirito's going to pull something out of his ass and win in an anticlimactic fashion" Can't say I hate either character, but I can say I don't like either as well.

For example, Shinji Ikari is a widely hated character, but I don't particularly harbor much ill will since his motives are fairly defined and somewhat interesting. Although there's some degree of "not this shit again", it's not nearly as bad.

Quote:
But what if the guy was taught to never beat up a girl for chivalric reasons (and sometimes, not even then)? Sanji from One Piece is a particularly depressing example, since it goes to the point that he can't fight women in a series that's heavy on the action side.
Well that's why it's not female empowerment. It's reinforcing certain ideas of gender. Not saying chivalry itself is bad, but... there's a reason why people like Touma from Index.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote