Thread: Licensed Nurarihyon no Mago
View Single Post
Old 2011-10-06, 17:24   Link #874
Used Can

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I liked it too. It's just very unusual for a shounen protagonist to do that kind of thing -consciously or not- so I was shocked the author had the balls to do that.
Nowadays, though. Back in the days you'd have mangas like Harenchi Gakuen, Mazinger Z, Hokuto no Ken, Saint Seiya and Jojo's Bizarre Adventure all of which were published in Weekly Shōnen Jump and in which the hero wouldn't always be able to spare his enemies. Also, it wasn't as if all the enemies back then were EVIL or monsters. Some of them would could also be noble and good, but their views were opposed to the protags and they were very determined in carrying them out, instead of simply bending to the MCs will after some preaching and a beating like a huge amount of villains these days. Personally, I think villains in shōnen manga have become really bland since the 90s.

Well, that's the perspective I have, which could be wrong, but the more shōnen manga I read, the more I think my perspective is not wrong.

This is why I've been enjoying Nurarihyon. Whilst the villains aren't all that amazing. They've been interesting and determined enough to do what they had to, and so has Rikuo as the MC. There's no over-idealisation - or, at least, it's not overdone.