View Single Post
Old 2012-10-17, 20:28   Link #77
Insane
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by backbone View Post
But harem series with completely useless protagonists whose only good quality is being a nice guy seems...

Strong and cool protagonists with many girls fall for them are very realistic since they can protect their harem with their awesomeness. But what about weak protagonists? What's so special about them that deserve them harem? Novice and lame protagonist are outdated formula since they basically had nothing worthy of themselves.
That's the same as saying "Man, I don't know why harem series is so popular. There's no way that could happen in life" or "Man, I don't know why science fiction story is so popular. There's no way science works that way". People have their own preferences for fiction, and there's no global standard in which one is better. What doesn't work for you (and probably non-Japan culture) might actually is the one that strikes the chord of Japanese reader. If we're talking about realistic, than fantasy/supernatural series is the most ridiculous one since the explanation they use in those is usually...very unscientific. Doesn't hinder a lot of people(including me) from enjoying them though. Harem in general is unrealistic no matter how badass the protagonist is because all the value being coerced into us by society since we're born, unless it's a series where harem is normal just like To-Love-ru (since their law doesn't prohibit polygamy). And even then, the characters in them usually hardly share the boy willingly(they usually settle for Tenchi solution while still bickering) and shows jealousy toward the other girl(which means although the law allows it, the society value not so much). The kind of protagonist a series has is just a matter of taste just like I said and no one has the right to said their preference is better than the others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by backbone View Post
Then, let me questioning you, as fellow harem fans.

Won't you get pissed seeing only girls are strong while the MC is a non-action guy who's really useless, beta-type person? (The reason why i dislike the kind of Sekirei and SoraOto)

Won't you get bored seeing indecisive, stupid male leads whose brain completely useless when it comes to reading mood and have tendency to screw up in crucial moments?

Won't you feel "skewed" if the MC is just a butt-monkey whose only function is for the sake of punching bag for the heroines? (Korezom and Love Hina play this trope in exaggerated and overly violent ways)

All in all, if the MC had nothing special about him, it feels very odd and messed up if he were to get a harem. For some reason i kinda agree with you, but there's no way those statements of yours indicating that you weren't being sarcastic nor offensive towards me.
Like i said before, it's just a matter of preference and everyone has their own likings, don't just blindly stating that your own ideal is the most correct one. We're already discussing thus far and you're still at it? I have no idea what's wrong with you. You said "but there's no way those statements of yours indicating that you weren't being sarcastic nor offensive towards me", but isn't it CLEAR that your statement is the more offensive instead? And since i already got pissed with that post of yours, may i suggest you to STOP point out such unnecessary rant anymore!? The more you point out your own ideals, the more it shows your own immaturity and self-centered mindset.

Anyway, i'm out of this thread. The topics grew too ridiculous and annoying for me.
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote