View Single Post
Old 2009-02-11, 16:39   Link #220
Quarkboy
Translator, Producer

Quote:
Originally Posted by neothe0ne View Post
How does the unity auto-deletion work? I'm convinced part of my download of a 5gb DVDISO is corrupted so I can't convert the 100% download into a working file (error 2).

Also, is there any significant advantage to having a larger unity? I've increased mine to 75gb but filled it much quicker than anticipated.
Above a certain size (20 GB, I think) there isn't too much benefit to having a larger unity file.

The only exception is if you are trying to download files all at once that total a larger size than your max unity size, in which case you have to either download them one by one or increase the size (yes, I did download more than 20 GB of files at once one time...)

The other benefit is that with a larger unity you are a better "source" for other clients to connect to to download from. So for example say you're interested in "touhou doujinshi" and you have 80 GB of it in your unity file, you're pretty much going to have a very easy time finding and downloading anything having to do with touhou doujinshi. But your upload speed is really more of a bottleneck than anything else. Also if your unity folder is filled with things that are autodownloaded then you have no idea what kind of stuff you might benefit from having a large unity folder of.
So basically what I'm saying is the only reason to have a unity folder larger than 20-30 GB is if you are actually downloading more than 20-30 GB of one particular type of thing. Otherwise the extra space gets filled with random junk that won't increase your download or search speeds.
Sam Pinansky
Quarkboy is offline   Reply With Quote