View Single Post
Old 2012-01-25, 08:12   Link #2094
Sound of Azure
...Is that so?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post

Actually, survival in Skyrim is nothing like Fallout. Food is plentiful to the point of being thrown away in garbage bins (that's what the barrels are), there is actual law and order with a legal system. If bandits attack you can always run to a cityguard who will help you unconditionally. To even pretend it is hard to survive in Skyrim is role playing something that doesn't exist; In general the only real threat are the dragons, otherwise the Holds are great places to live.

If Tamriel is half as dangerous as you like to believe, most NPCs would be dead. Indeed, that's what happens with Oblivion when level scaling went overboard and travelling NPCs die off-screen to demonic wildlife. At some point, I have to wonder why people are pretending the TES world is some forsaken land, when it is clearly one of the more pleasant game universes.
I agree, Skyrim is easy to survive in as it stands. That's fine, I wasn't disputing that. Heck, Fallout is easy enough to survive in at its base settings. The hardcore mode in New Vegas really wasn't hardcore in my estimation, though it gave you a bit more to think about at early levels.

I'm talking about modifying it to be more unpleasant. I've played through and have seen what kind of story the developers wanted to tell, and now I want to turn EASY MODO off, and get a different kind of experience. These kind of changes aren't going to be in the base game, but have to be added in. For challenge, immersion, what ever.

So yeah, I agree with you. All my issues are flavour ones. I like gritty, I like hard challenges, I like immersion (including guards who help you out against bandits). The world of TES is relatively benign for the average person. However, I don't want my character to be average. My character is somebody who goes out into the dark despite the danger. That's a hard thing to do, but it's challenge that makes the most compelling story for people like me. Simple as that.

It's a great strength of modding communities that everyone can (eventually) play the kinds of stories they like. As always, play what you will.
Sound of Azure is offline   Reply With Quote