View Single Post
Old 2008-03-02, 12:54   Link #69
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
I'm more inclined to think that the tail is a hindrance to any serious romantic involvement. It basically reminds Lawrence and the audience that what he is dealing with is not quite human. He, unfortunately, had a similar comment in this episode. That pat on the head is further signs of it imo. You don't pat a cute 15yo female on the head or any female past 10 yo imo. However, you do pat a dog on the head.
Um, cultural difference... Patting someone on the head is a Japanese sign of affection at the least and I've seen it frequently on US West Coast in asian communities (Chinese/Korean). Hell, I skritch *my* wife (sansei) on the head and she's somewhat older than 15...
If you'll notice, Horo has skritched Lawrence on the head as well. Signs of affection vary from place to place in the world.....

Also, I've never seen alien features slow anyone down in a science fiction story if they cared about the person. Why should it be different here when part of the story is how Lawrence is coming to accept Horo as a *person* rather than a "monster" or "freak"? (or a human with different racial features...... eh?)

Last edited by Vexx; 2008-03-02 at 13:21.