View Single Post
Old 2014-01-03, 16:41   Link #1533
FierceAlchemist

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Yeaaa, but what kind of love? Eros? Philia? Agape? There's like four kinds and Homura might even be inventing one given her dialog.
Well, that's the million dollar question isn't it? It all comes down a person's interpretation of love. I glanced at this to form my own opinion: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Fou...The_Four_Loves

For me, Homura's love ranges between selfless agape at its best and selfish eros at its worst. Her countless sacrifices in her journey to protect Madoka and expecting nothing in return is very noble of her. However, her actions in Rebellion, while done out of good intentions and based on Madoka's own admission that she wouldn't be happy being apart from everyone, still override Madoka's free will. She forces happiness onto Madoka despite Madoka's selfless desires.

Now Homura is redeemed somewhat in that while she could have completely overwritten Madoka's free will, she didn't. She still doesn't expect Madoka to reciprocate her feelings and even accepts the likelihood that they will become enemies one day. She puts Madoka's happiness and livelihood above her own feelings and the stability of her new world. There's a lot to suggest that Homura is feeling extremely guilty about what she's done to Madoka (her familiars throwing tomatoes at her, the single chair on the hill, all the suicide imagery).

So I think Homura's current love for Madoka is an unhealthy love, but still love. It's not irredeemable.
"There's no such thing as a painless lesson-they just don't exist. Sacrifices are necessary. You can't gain anything without losing something first. Although if you can endure that pain and walk away from it, you'll find that you now have a heart strong enough to overcome any obstacle. Yeah, a heart made Fullmetal" -Edward Elric
FierceAlchemist is offline   Reply With Quote