View Single Post
Old 2012-12-27, 20:17   Link #31
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe_fh View Post
Instead they cut details from everything and forced the first part to move quite fast. I mean there's so much room to improve and add in such a vast world over a span of two years. I just feel like they wasted a lot of the potential it had.
While it's always nice to imagine what could have been if they had unlimited time and budget, every production is always constrained in some ways. There are a number of reasons why it made sense to pair the first two arcs in a single show (because they're directly related to each other), and this pace ensures that there's a chance of adapting the entire series before the franchise goes cold. In the end, they had to settle on some rather clear compromises (i.e. minimize narration and inner thoughts, focus on the action plot, show everything in chronological order) but this is the sort of "lossyness" that you might expect whenever a book is adapted for a visual medium. In the end, the main point is that this story doesn't actually revolve around SAO, but that is only the starting point for a larger story that spans multiple game worlds. In that sense, making the transition sooner rather than later helps set the tone for the kind of work this is.