View Single Post
Old 2007-12-14, 02:58   Link #73
ShikaShika
無罪

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightengale View Post
Currently, Fairy Tail's 2 plotlines that seem to be grander than its usual stock is 'dissapearing dragons on 77777' along with whatever Sieglien is planning.

Otherwise, this seems to be just a story of the characters. We've already got Gray, Elfman and Mirajane, Lucy's half-way there, and it's implied Loki will be getting his arc soon. Natsu and Erza's seems to be a part of a grand plot, so theirs are most likely slower.

I agree that the continuity is weak, but it seems to be done that way on purpose. How it'll reflect later on the product is questionable, but at this point, it's not all that bad yet.

And the villains... well, I kinda like Sieglien, Gazille and the Gray-arc villains, but that's about it. Everyone else wasn't really inspiring. Fairy Tail's fast pacing is both its blessing and curse here, considering how Phantom was seemingly hyped to be equal to its best, but the end result and execution made Phantom looked like it was just half of Fairy Tail's full potential.
I'll give you Sieglien, ad the other girl he hangs around with. Anyway, that was only a minor point.

But the plot point is really bugging me. The arcs are so disconnected that it feels like I could stop reading for 100 chapters and come back without having really missed anything but some random adventure. If you wanna take it to extremes I feel like I've basically been reading filler up to this point (quick arcs with no impact on the overall storyline), though well written.

Of course it begs the question, does a manga really need one long continuous storyline? Well, I guess for me it helps me focus on what the story is all about, but also on what the characters goals in life are. Even though as you said, we've had little glimpses of the backgrounds of some of the members in Fairy Tail, have we really found out what they want out of life?

The easy comparison is One Piece. Oda took the time to give all the characters goals and purposes and it just makes all their quite random adventures seem less random because you know they are all progressing towards their ultimate goal. Not so with Fairy Tail, do we even know the characters' ultimate goals? Natsu wants to find Ignill, but why? And then what? What about the rest of the characters?

I see so much potential in this manga as a grand shounen adventure, but the short interconnected arcs just feel a bit anticlimactic. Oh, I'm rambling again, I hope people can pick up my points from all this text.
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote