View Single Post
Old 2007-07-23, 11:58   Link #307
arkhangelsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
Science is a VERY BIG field, what could he be doing for the good of the people, that he CAN'T TELL them?

WHY can you trust such a man?!
I'm not trusting or not trusting him so much as I'm interested in what he has to say.

I'm sorry to break it to you, Chaos, but there are often times when a people's indoctrinated repulsion to a field of research makes it unwise to mention it. Nuclear power, for example, is treated with near phobia. The more so with various forms of cloning. Despite the good possibilities of these techs, the phobia makes it hard to continue to research them, especially the latter. Many of the objections are based more on the Gut than the Brain. Thus, it may be wise to be a bit quiet about things.

Quote:
A one minute speech, to explain how many minutes of violence and destruction?

Do you think the men and women under siege would just shrug it off?

"Our lives were in danger because you want to prove a point?!"
Actually, it was only ~20 minutes of destruction. The battle seemed to be more or less real time. It was a very effective demonstration of the possibilities of Scarlietti's technology.

Subjectively they won't. Objectively, however, they know that if Scarlietti wanted to, most of them will be DEAD. This will give them something to think about.

Their lives. Well, most of their lives actually weren't in a whole lot of danger.