Thread: Licensed Samurai Champloo
View Single Post
Old 2008-02-12, 20:46   Link #669
Yotsuba
芸術は爆発だ!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyRedLeaf View Post
I disagree. It was merely puppy love on Fuu's part. She would probably have preferred to be with a person who had both Jin's manners and Mugen's manliness. In the end though, she probably regarded the both of them as older brothers and extra-special travelling companions. She was fairly possessive about the both of them, partly because she had a crush on the both of them at one time or another, and partly because she was afraid of being on her own.

That she was eventually willing to go her separate way in the end is a sign of her "growing up". By the end of the journey, her feelings for the both of them had become something more than romantic (it was never romantic in any case - both men regarded her as a little sister). Jin and Mugen are special to Fuu, but not in that way.
But when Jin offered to go with her, she said 「だって、ムゲンのやつが...」the reasonable word to add after that would be 好き, in my opinion. and explain why she hesitated to say it. And also why she apologized. "Because, Mugen, I love that guy..." they way the subtitles said "Mugen will" isn't really right because she OMITTED a word, and the sentence doesn't really make sense without knowing what she was going to say. That's why it seems so cryptic. And why Jin told him to go "Take care of Fuu."

I think she had a crush on Jin, but she was in love with Mugen. Fuu matured a lot during the course of their journey. And I don't think you can say they only regarded her as a little sister. 5 years is not THAT big of an age difference, and Fuu was obviously important enough to Mugen that he was willing to give up his life for her. He may have not have been sexually attracted to her, but I think it went beyond that. He wouldn't have given up his sword for any other girl, no matter how sexy she was.
Yotsuba is offline   Reply With Quote