Thread: Licensed Samurai Champloo
View Single Post
Old 2008-02-12, 21:24   Link #670
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotsuba
But when Jin offered to go with her, she said 「だって、ムゲンのやつが...」the reasonable word to add after that would be 好き, in my opinion. and explain why she hesitated to say it. And also why she apologized. "Because, Mugen, I love that guy..." they way the subtitles said "Mugen will" isn't really right because she OMITTED a word, and the sentence doesn't really make sense without knowing what she was going to say.
It's meant to be cryptic. She could have meant anything, not just "love". In my opinion, it's not romantic love, but a combination of many different emotions, hence her inability to say it outright.

Of course, it's up to interepretation. The Japanese, in particular, are fond of not completing their sentences to avoid passing negative comments, or when they feel that their intended meaning is obvious, so perhaps you are right - Fuu may be in love with Mugen. I simply feel, however, that it's more than "love" - it was something more complicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yotsuba
5 years is not THAT big of an age difference, and Fuu was obviously important enough to Mugen that he was willing to give up his life for her. He may have not have been sexually attracted to her, but I think it went beyond that. He wouldn't have given up his sword for any other girl, no matter how sexy she was.
You're forgetting that Jin nearly died because of her as well, but crawled back up to save the day in the end. So, it's not as though Jin doesn't care about her either. As for how Fuu felt about Jin, don't you think it's fairly "obvious" too, when he agreed to leave with the blind shamisen player? She bawled her heart out when he left without a single protest.

Nope, in my opinion, both men regarded Fuu more as family than as romantic interest. Their relationship reminds me strongly of the trio of lead characters from the immensely popular J-drama Beach Boys, the show that catapaulted Ryoko Hirosue, Takashi Sorimachi (Mugen reminds me of him) and Yutaka Takenouchi to fame.

In other words, it's a popular convention in J-drama, it seems, ie, the "love triangle" that isn't really there. As such, I think it's easy to over-read Fuu's feelings for either men - the writers intended it that way. Because it's a surefire formula for capturing audience interest. If nothing else, it still manages to keep us guessing until now.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote