View Single Post
Old 2012-02-01, 20:51   Link #15
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
The automatic blocking that happens right after you upload something is different from recieving a takedown notice,the former is a lot easier to deal with than the latter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
Did you try making the video with the image backwards? I know a lot of uploaders use that as a get-around-the-copyright deal.

Endless "sdrawkcab" Soul
Thanks for the helpful info and suggestions. I'll keep them in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irenicus View Post

Right now, however, the Internet is full of rhetoric of anti-government, anti-corporate resistance, of struggle, with a hint of war (see one of those LOTR spoofs). I'm fully aware of it, and shamelessly contribute my share. Why not? It *is* war.
That's the impression I get, yes.

I think that the pro-IP big business/corporate lobbyist side isn't even trying to balance out the legitimate financial investments of creators and copyright holders with what's best for society as a whole. This is becoming increasingly obvious to me on an almost week-by-week basis.

It does seem like the pro-IP side of the issue is trying to force ever more draconian measures down the throats of all of us, regardless of how negatively that impacts the vast majority of us. The pro-IP side seems to have an agenda that goes well-beyond simply ensuring that creators are justly compensated for their creations.

And given how over-reaching and poorly worded bills/acts like ACTA, PIPA, and SOPA are, it doesn't appear like the pro-IP side is willing to negotiate, or compromise. OTOH, nor does it appear like they have any intention of ceasing attempts to implement their agendas. It seems like these extreme anti-piracy measures just never go away, as the people pushing for them never stop trying, even when their ideas are soundly rejected over and over and over again.

So, yes, this is basically a war. I really do think that 20 to 30 years down the line, the society of that time will be greatly impacted by the results of these copyright/IP "wars". If the pro-IP side wins, I think it'll simply be horrible for the vast majority of us. It will squash a lot of creativity and possibly even "break the internet".

So since the opposition simply can't be negotiated with, the only option is to fight back, and to hopefully "win". Then, yes, we can hopefully try to find something that's reasonable and well-balanced.

Quote:
Now would you like to sign here, and here, and join our Resistance?
Definitely. Simply for the internet to reach anything remotely close to its full potential, the pro-IP side needs to be stopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyuu View Post
Copyright duration:

http://copyright.cornell.edu/resources/publicdomain.cfm

There's a general list on lengths of copyright and expiration.

For media items. The time it takes for media items to enter public domain: should be 20 years. Maybe even 30 years tops. Then they get dumped into public domain.
Agreed. I think this is a big part of the problem.

Like Irenicus pointed out, much of artwork is about taking what came before, and updating it or putting a new spin on it. I wonder sometimes what an aspiring comic book artist/writer could do if he could write Batman or Superman or Spiderman comics. He may well create something better than what DC or Marvel put out.

If you look at Japan, their long-standing tolerance, if not outright encouragement, of derivative works has really enabled the best character concepts and series premises to be used to their fullest potential.

Quote:

Really? 95 years from publication? By that point, few if any would care if such media work even exists. I'll be damned if anyone remembers who Cyndi Lauper is 70 years from now.
If they do, it'll only be because they remember Hulk Hogan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhomochevsky View Post
This is pretty much the topic we touched on this page. Well, at least I was thinking of it.

To summarize: IP is not what we should be even discussing now. We can do that once we are back into sane levels of legal measures. Right now, it should be about fighting back against the attacks on our freedom, regardless of what topic they may hide behind.

This whole IP thing has crossed into ludicrous territory years ago. It needs to be set back completely first. We can not build anything reasonable on top of what crazy legislature we already have.
Agreed. A lot of things need to be rolled back before we can set a new, sensible foundation.

Thanks to everyone for their helpful and informative replies.