View Single Post
Old 2012-08-29, 10:44   Link #15
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urzu 7 View Post
It is like drinking alcohol with Europeans vs. Americans. It just seems like the Europeans handle it all better than Americans (not talking about individuals, talking about societies on the whole)?
Sure, but WHY do the Europeans handle it better? It's not genetic or some inherent trait. As I said, I suspect that it's because they don't make a big deal out of it that they are more responsible. So why do we make such a big deal abut these things?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner
I'm personally of the opinion that it should be legal, but don't you try to kid me that marijuana is a completely harmless drug with no side affects whatsoever. It may not kill you like cigarettes, nor damage you as fast as alcohol, but mentally people just are not the same if they are active users. It definitely is a lifestyle changer.
So is anime in all seriousness, this is true to a degree, but what can we do about it? It's already illegal and we're already spending gobs of money to try and keep it out of society. We've been at this for many, many years now, and it isn't working. People are still acquiring it and using it. We can't stop them from doing it, so why not try a different approach? Legalize it, teach them about responsible usage, and create avenues for people who develop problems to seek help. As it stands, people are getting themselves into trouble over these laws, they're sending money to gangs and cartels, and if they develop a problem, they're in their own because society judges them harshly and would rather prosecute them than get them back on their feet. It's not productive.

Quote:
The power of the drug cartels stems more from cocaine and crystal meth than it does from marijuana. That's where the real drug money comes from.
I've never actually seen data about the certels' revenue sources. I find this believable, but do you know how much marijuana contributes to their funds?