View Single Post
Old 2012-12-10, 20:11   Link #27
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauerlutscher View Post
I find it really interesting that some people here think she is autistic, but they ignore that no one in this anime is thinking like that and that no one in this anime has ever used this term to describe her like that.
So I can only see this autism issue, that was never mentioned in this story so far, as an over-interpretation of some people.
I think there's just an issue of people having different notions of what autism is, see this article.

Quote:
The most likely cause of the autism epidemic is that autism has become fashionable – a popular fad diagnosis. Once rare and unmistakable, the term is now used loosely to describe people who do not really satisfy the narrow criteria intended for it by DSM IV. Autism now casts a wide net, catching much milder problems that previously went undiagnosed altogether or were given other labels. Autism is no longer seen as an extremely disabling condition, and many creative and normally eccentric people have discovered their inner autistic self.
The bolded part just seems to correspond to the debate around Shiina.

The one thing I'm convinced of is that the author didn't think to himself "I'm going to write an autistic character".