View Single Post
Old 2012-12-10, 20:49   Link #32
Dauerlutscher
Marauder Shields

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Nobody is ignoring that. But it's like I wrote before - In Japan, people are more mum about mental conditions. So I wouldn't expect these characters to discuss her in that fashion.
I was only pointing something out. You said it yourself that you believe that there is a chance of 50% that she is autistic.
But there is also a 50% chance that she is not. And when we consider that not even the people in the story (and with that not even the author himself) sees her that way and no one (like friends or family or teachers) in this story treats her that way, then I don't see any reason why I should think she is more than just an eccentric girl that has no desire or interest on other things than art.
If there is really something more to it, then I expect to be somhow mentioned.

If we go by your standards for Shiina, then what can we call Misaki and Aoyama? I mean, both of them behave quite extreme and sometimes dowright retared in many meany situations.

Quote:
Where are people doing that? I'm not bashing her by saying that I think that there's a good chance that she has autism. That's not intended as a bash at all.
I didn't mean exatcly you with that. It is just something that i noticed here and on other places since a couple of weeks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
I think there's just an issue of people having different notions of what autism is, see this article.

The bolded part just seems to correspond to the debate around Shiina.

The one thing I'm convinced of is that the author didn't think to himself "I'm going to write an autistic character".
And that is IMO obvious and that is the reason why i think some people are just over-analyzing this whole thing.