Thread: Licensed Kokoro Connect [anime]
View Single Post
Old 2012-07-15, 00:40   Link #238
Vena
Carpe Diem

I watched the two starter episodes one after the other last night due to time constraints over the previous week, and I have to say that I am glad that I did. The first episode is very slow and feel like a heavy introduction with the main plot dynamic being used for a gag rather than something a bit deeper. If I had only watched that one episode and then had to wait a week, I'd have easily been underwhelmed as by the end of it I was a bit bored, unimpressed, and looking for something else. Thankfully, I had the second episode and I got to see the show really take itself into much more serious territory as it delved into some philosophical questions as well as the difficulty of the kids to deal with their changes in sexual identity.

From the looks of it, there's like a love pentagon going on here and the next episode, thanks to the unforeseen consequences of the kids acting out of character in the bodies of others, will come to a quick boil. There's a lot of hints in the episode of who likes who in some secret way, and who is aware and *unhappy*. The show seems to focus on Inaba looking at Taichi looking at Nagase, and I don't know what to do with the other two just yet but Kiriyama will be getting a bit more focus next episode.

Anyway I look forward to more in the near future.

So ya, first episode was a bit of a drag but having the second follow right up was a godsend. There's a lot of potential in this show, let's see what it can make of it. (Though the show does seem to struggle from a bit of a tonal discord as the wanky hijinks can pop in to the serious philosophy in rather abrupt and pointless ways at times. Though, these little outbursts of hijinks may end up being the catalysts of S.H.t.F. further on in the show.)