View Single Post
Old 2008-09-17, 01:43   Link #12023
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discreet View Post
I didn't really pay that much attention to (or edited) the beginning chapters when Haruki is completely unapproachable.

And I should've been more specific. I've already tried so far to keep his gigantic assholeness in check in my edits, but what I'm referring to at the moment is when Kyonko first meets Haruki. In that entire portion of the story, he is an incredible prick beyond all measures.

But I agree that we should make Haruki a Jerkass (for lack of a better term) TO A POINT.

A Jerkass character is NOT meant to be hated, but accepted as another part of the cast, albeit a particularly negative/unpleasant one, it's just that creator's miscalculate their unpleasantness and the audience starts hating their guts.
*headdesk*

A Jerkass is meant to be unlikable. The cast is supposed to dislike them. That's the point.

Haruhi is an incredible bitch beyond all measures in the beginning chapters and, indeed, in the first few novels. Just check the MASSIVE discussion on the Haruhi Just Bugs Me page.

Logically, everyone should hate Haruhi, but she has tits so she gets away with everything.

So, your idea is that we should derail the character from the original intent in order to please you? I don't understand your reasoning.

Gah, this discussion is just making me hate Haruhi...

Just a few of the things she's done:

-Kidnapped and effectively raped Mikuru (constantly)
-Used Mikuru's body as blackmail and coercion
-Got Mikuru drunk in order to get her to kiss Koizumi
-Subjugated and kidnapped several more unwilling individuals
-And basically run Kyon and Koizumi ragged trying to keep her happy.

She. Is not. A good. Person.

Not EVIL, but certainly not a good person. She is getting BETTER, though, as evidenced by her increased interaction with her classmates and changing views on her brigade.

The only reason she gets away with anything is because she's a girl.

And that's the point of Seitenkan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kogetsu Shirogane View Post
I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one. After founding the SOS Brigade, the only people she's undeniably cruel to are Mikuru and the computer club, neither of which really stops after the point you brought up(although she's a bit nicer to the latter group after DoS). The only other person who generally gets this from her is Kyon, but he's proven time and time again that he could stop her if he really wanted. She may be unbearable at times, but that's due to her endless supply of energy, not the way she treats people.
She's fairly horrible to Kyon, too, making constant unreasonable demands of him that he can't refuse without her DESTROYING THE UNIVERSE.

Koizumi is in the same boat, but he takes initiative so she doesn't have to demand anything from him.

And she does get quite a bit nicer to Mikuru over time, and has pretty much stopped cosraping her by Vol. 7...

And she's not any nicer to the Computer Club President. Ever.
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote