View Single Post
Old 2010-11-23, 21:17   Link #183
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarST View Post
However, I'm not quite sure he's "paying ammends" to her or it's just guilt-driven, relentless.
Yeah, when I said "paying amends", I actually intended it in the guilt-driven sense. It's like he's trying to make up for something, and that's why he keeps helping her out even though, at least on the surface, he doesn't seem to get much out of it. I don't think it's something he's doing consciously, but by the same token (unlike a lot of viewers) I don't think he is necessarily expecting her to reciprocate.

As for the "I hate her" bit... I think the more sensible way of interpreting that line in context is more like "I hated the fact that she was so successful" or "She made me feel incompetent and I hated her for that"; it was a jealous statement, not an angry statement. He definitely doesn't hate her in the way one might hate "their enemy" or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvatarST View Post
As for the cliffhanger, it makes me wonder if she's going to be put on a bus and they'll have to figure out what to do before then, to fix their relationship.
Yup, that's pretty much exactly what I think as well. Though the image I have in my head (I'm not a Troper, so I don't know which one this would be) is more like the old airplane trope (at the end of a lot of romance movies and romantic comedies). Rather than figuring it out before, I think he'll have to chase after her.

And yes, I'm glad to see you're back to posting again.