View Single Post
Old 2010-05-03, 22:19   Link #60
MeoTwister5
Komrades of Kitamura Kou

Quote:
Originally Posted by alamarco View Post
I agree that DRM is weak right now, I'm not arguing about that. What I'm saying is that it can improve. You are all pointing out weakness of the current DRM, whose to say that cannot be improved upon? No one here is creating and advancing technology, so I doubt anyone can accurately predict what's in store in the future. Even if DRM has to change it's basic premise, it's possible that it can improve in a way that makes it much more difficult to crack. How? Hell if I know, I don't get paid to think of algorithms that can be used.

By the way, when I was using the bank analogy, I was referring to actually breaking into the bank and taking all the money. I wasn't referring to hacking into the systems, though either way works as my analogy was based on improving the systems.

I do want to comment on SSL. SSL, although secure in itself, is not secure in implementation. One can easily bypass SSL through a man-in-the-middle attack (MITM). With browsers also slacking on warning users it's very easy to use programs such as sslstrip and perform MITM attacks. Security not only depends on the algorithm being used, but also how it is being implemented.
Yet everyone's argument against DRM isn't solely tied to it's fault, but the restrictive concept behind the DRM is, in and of itself, fundamentally flawed in believing that causing such a restriction to both piraters and legitimate consumers is consumer friendly, and the assumption that legitimate consumers are more than willing to suck it up with the messy and absurd restrictions (which they obviously aren't) just to go against pirating.

You can't improve on a security measure that's, for all intents and purposes, meant to cause a bother not only to piraters but to regular buyers as well. The fact again that piraters have more or less cracked DRM forms while everyone else suffers for it. One cannot deny the current fact that DRM's ARE meant to be restrictive, and any and all attempts to improve it will simply cause some more discomfort one way or another.
MeoTwister5 is offline   Reply With Quote