Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2009-04-04, 23:45   Link #2063
Narona
Emotionless White Face

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClockWorkAngel View Post
@Narona

I can understand your perception, they are rather 3 different substances. (By definition, alcohol and cigarettes are drugs). However you can't deny that they have their side effects.

People die from cigarettes and alcohol. You can't deny it. Their organs destroy themselves. Marijuana if intaken correctly will have little damage to the lungs (Vapourization), not to mention you can't overdose on it. Other drugs can and that's undeniable. But why do we keep these two substances legal, even though the damage they do is just amazing?

I don't think most people drink to become drunk, they just become drunk after drinking too much. Hangovers = bad and isn't the best part of drinking I'm sure. One can make the same assertion for drugs, you won't get high if the dose is neleigible. And, that law's only been recently passed? It's been quite illegal to sell here in Canada (19 except in Quebec) since for as long I can remember.

Alcohol, makes people do bad things, can you deny that if you're under the influence you're more prone to do irrational things? Assault, Domestic Violence, Drunk Driving and so on, some drugs may influence a person's ability to do these things, I myself haven't heard of them.

People do bad things, drugs help them (That includes alcohol) do those bad things. That doesn't mean that you can punish every person because of a single bad decision on the basics that they might do something bad. The thing about legalization of drugs is that they can do what they want to do to themselves, so long they don't screw with other people, that's common sense! We have laws to protect people (Though in my opinon, to protect the offenders) and so on.
Did you miss the point on purpose? What many people are not ok with about drugs are the "immediate" bad effect and how they can become a danger to the society even after having taken only "one" dose. One cigarette, one glass of wine have not any of those very bad immediate effects. That's where lies the difference. I can only ask you to read again my previous post.

Quote:
One can make the same assertion for drugs,
Certainly not. It might be discutable about marijuana because not 100% of the people see some of the bad "bad effects" that i was talking about happening after only one dose. But what you say is for example completely wrong about cocaine.