View Single Post
Old 2011-10-30, 11:10   Link #2843
Darthtabby

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnuskn View Post
Well, with "moral downfall" I actually meant that Sheryls decision to tacitly go along with Graces plan to harvest Rankas organs is ethically objectively wrong. Her getting depressed in the series after being told that she would die is an event which affected her negative in an emotional way, while her not immediately rejecting the idea of killing Ranka for her organs is something which is very reprehensible on an ethical level.

And I think that interpreting Sheryls conflicting emotions about the whole idea during the concert to a "Who is more worthy of living?" question is not the right way to go. For me it clearly was Sheryl deciding about if she'd really would do something so horrible to someone who she considered her friend, i.e. she was actively deciding if she'd sacrifice her moral center to live.

There is of course the aspect of her long-term relationship with Grace to consider... after Grace told her about that horrific plan, Sheryl had to weigh the factor that telling others about that plan would mean the end of Grace. In fact, those accusations of espionage from the first movie, in which Sheryl clearly wasn't involved with, turned out to be totally true in the end. So she had a lot to ponder.

Of course, as a big Sheryl fan, I would have preferred for Sheryl to reject the very idea of killing Ranka immediately, but given that Grace basically was under complete control of the conspirators, it could very well have meant that Grace would have snapped Sheryls neck right there.
I'm rather glad I'm not the only one who's bothered by all that.

Personally I've been starting to feel its actually a case of bad writing. Even though movie Sheryl is a different character I have trouble imagining her feeling anything but intense revulsion and horror at the idea of them taking Ranka's organs and putting them in her, yet she doesn't seem to have that kind of reaction. And I don't think the whole issue of what Grace might do really works as an excuse. I think the whole organs thing was probably the first big clue Sheryl had about the Galaxy conspiracy's nastiness so I don't think she'd really consider the possibility of what Grace would do to her if she objected.

I kind of feel like things would have worked a lot better if the writer had come up with a good excuse for Galaxy to kidnap Ranka to personally fight the Vajra or something. If the issue had been more like "I don't want my friend to lose her freedom, but I don't want to betray my family either" then I could have sympathised. The fact that Sheryl failed to even object to what Grace told her here is a big problem for me though -one that really prevents me from being able to properly enjoy the other aspects of her character.

On another note, I tend to really dislike it when people keep harping on about the same issue over and over or object that something is bad writing and the writers should have handled things differently... yet here I am doing it myself. :lol: