View Single Post
Old 2007-08-19, 01:19   Link #43
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Mostly I find there's simply no evidence for a sky-god (or any other god) especially after 50 years of some extensive study of a variety of religions and philosophical study, so I'm probably closer to the Richard Dawkins viewpoint (ref: The God Delusion). Existentialism aside (everything I know being filtered through terrible sensory input and mapped onto suspicious world models in my head), the scientific Method is still the cleanest way to deal with Reality.

On the other hand, I find that animism/pantheism (or more specifically, Shinto) is a colorful metaphor for the world -- I always feel more connected after visiting a shrine so I'm probably getting rewarded by the hypothalmus or some related brain structure.
Practically speaking for myself, Zen Buddhism at its sparest is a useful philosophy to intrepret and get through life with. The more doctrine or "crap" you layer on the direct 'mystical' experience, the less likely people are to encounter it.
So ... basically I'm an atheist who finds the non-oppressive components of certain beliefs useful and comforting. I'd certainly hate it if the shrines and temples in Japan and other locales went abandoned.

Last edited by Vexx; 2007-08-19 at 01:29.
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote