View Single Post
Old 2013-03-30, 05:45   Link #1046
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nanya01 View Post

In fact, challenge time for Demi., Triple_R and Kaijo...

How would you change the movie, what scenes would you edit out, what would you add in...
That's much of what we've been discussing for awhile now.

I don't disagree with the idea of more screen-time for Lindy/Chrono. I do see the potential benefit of getting more screen-time for them. However, there's certain prices I wouldn't be willing to pay to achieve that.

When people talk about removing scenes to add different hypothetical scenes, people are essentially doing a cost-benefit analysis in their mind. People could agree on "the benefit", but disagree on "the cost", leading to a disagreement on whether or not the changes would be worth it. There is an inescapable element of subjectivity here. I think this is primarily what is going on here.

Since I more or less agree with Kaijo's assessment of "the benefit" of more Lindy/Chrono focus, but disagree with Kaijo's assessment of "the cost" of some of his suggested edits, I'm looking for different ways to gain that "benefit" while paying a lesser "cost" to get there. In other words, I've suggested different cuts.

To be more direct and specific about it, I think we can shave off about 3 to 4 minutes worth of content without having to significantly affect NanoFate or Fate. And with those added 3 to 4 minutes, there is your extended Chrono/Lindy gravesite scene. There is your closure for them.

Beyond that, I'm not sure how I would edit/re-cut the movie. I do see how the initial action scene could be improved, and on the whole, I do prefer how Nanoha and Fate's reunion went in the TV show to how it went in the movie. However, that would require major editing work to the first half of the movie, and I'm not sure if I'm willing to take the time to fully thought experiment that. I mean, Kaijo is right about how we're just talking about hypotheticals here. Love it or hate it, the movie is done, and it is what it is.

However, it really is a shame that you didn't enjoy the movie more, Nanya. It sucks that there wasn't more in it that you could take something positive out of it.

Still, IIRC, a lot of your issues are with the action scenes side of things.

When it comes to modern action scenes in anime, I think there's a sliding scale of WhizBang! sheer technical merit vs. Theatrical Combat Charm where it's all about the characters. This is brute force/power/speed/chaotic feel vs. the action slows down to let a character shine with a showing of grit, determination, resolve, and/or finesse.

Nanoha A's the TV show leaned towards Theatrical Combat Charm, while this movie leans towards WhizBang! This is a largely subjective thing, as some people totally love the Whizbang! approach to action scenes and may find TCC slow and relatively boring. On the flip side, some people love what TCC does for characters and may find the brute force/power/speed/chaotic feel of WhizBang! to be kind of soulless and "style over substance" after awhile.

I think there's a happy medium on this sliding scale, and this movie is just inside of it, but it does lean towards WhizBang. I get the impression that you greatly prefer the TCC approach, so naturally the action scenes are dissatisfying to you. Personally, I'd also prefer a bit more TCC in the movie, so I'd probably edit the action scenes some to reflect that, which would likely make them more pleasing to you.

Yes, I would have liked to have seen more "Divine Busters!" and "Starlite Breakters!" and Nanoha shouting like Leonidas from 300. So I probably would have put that in the film.

Edit: To make it more clear what I mean by WhizBang! vs. Theatrical Combat Charm, let me show you an example of each...

This is WhizBang!

Spoiler for Kara no Kyoukai action scene:

Notice the sheer speed, intensity, power, and sense of brute force in this scene. The choreography is fairly complex with Shiki flying all over the place and twisting about a whole lot. However, the action scene never slows down much, and there's not a lot this scene can tell you about the characters. But then, given that Shiki is basically fighting zombies here, this is an action scene that's best off being the WhizBang! way that it is. They're just mindless zombies, after all. And many would consider this a great action scene.

This is Theatrical Combat Charm.

Spoiler for Superman vs. Darkseid:

Now, yes, this scene obviously has a lot of brute force and power in it. However, the choreography is very simple, and very easy to follow. It's a few punches (including one epic one), the villain slowly crashing through buildings, and a double axe-handle for the finish. For some, this is too slow and simple to count as a great action scene. But for others, the epicness of it is what makes it a great action scene. And Superman's biggest fans absolutely love it to death. Because, as is consistently the case for TCC, this is a "Character Shines" moment as much as it is an action scene one.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2013-03-30 at 06:22.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote