Thread: News Stories
View Single Post
Old 2013-01-11, 09:39   Link #25725
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
Originally Posted by synaesthetic View Post
Laziness is the key word here.

What if you aren't lazy? What if you're willing and able to work, but can't, because nobody will hire you?

Do you simply die?
I understand this viewpoint, after all I'm finding it difficult to find work myself. That's why I think it is important to have unemployment benefits of some kind.

But the issue in this case is not provision of food/shelter, it's ensuring everyone has access to work. On the flipside, overly generous unemployment subsidies can sometimes be counterproductive, and I don't mean in creating "welfare queens" (I don't think most unemployed are like this), but more that if they're comfortable they might not be willing to take such radical steps as moving to another part of the country, which might be necessary to achieve employment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
ie, the system is correct, why bother making it better?
The system is correct, but inefficient. As someone else posted, it's more about improving the wheel, then switching to something completely different. Evolution, rather then Revolution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakoo View Post
A pointless debate, we all agree there's malnutrishment, but who cares, it's their fault if they are sick, they just had to not be in war or poverty.

Yet we are the one solding weapons, and their poverty is a direct consequence of Europe past actions. Now that we all agreed with Leibniz philosophy, everything is fine in the best world possible, let's pass on something else.
I don't think any posters are saying it's their own fault for living in a war torn country. People are just saying that you have to deal with the causes of malnutrition at the source, and in most cases that "source" is not the agricultural industry. The source is the war. If there's malnutrition in a country riven by civil war, the solution is try to bring the civil war to an end, not to revolutionize agriculture in that nation(or elsewhere). For one thing, any improvements you might make in that country would be quickly undone by the next rebel band that marches through and pillages all the farmer's hard work away.

In most cases, Hunger is a more of a symptom of deeper dysfunctions in a region. Today it's quite rare for out of control crop failures/natural disasters to cause famine, and even then a functional government will be able to deal with those problems (Think Japan after the Tsunami) while a dysfunctional one will just fall apart (think Haiti after it's earthquake).

Fundamentally, today Hunger is more a political problem, rather then an agricultural or logistical problem.