View Single Post
Old 2011-08-08, 21:40   Link #75
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Being a Nako fan, this episode was honestly all that I could've hoped for her, though it would've worked better out had Nako gotten the same treatment as Minko with getting more developed in the background rather than have it all become a point in the finale stretch of the show, but again, I don't mind it at all.

I liked the way that this episode sort of ties back to how episode 3 was supposedly a Nako episode also, though the connection doesn't surface unless that episode is re-watched.

Nako is clearly a creature of the sea which is why I love her so much which is why she had no problem back then diving from the top of a rock to the sea, and displayed a more initiative taking action that wasn't clear in her personality at first. Heck, even back in episode 14 when she took the chance to go swimming at midnight rather than rest. The sea is her domain, she has full control when she is there.

So naturally, it made sense for her to have dreams of the sea, or make metaphors about her home being her comfort zone by comparing the two, or even trying to break out of her insecurities by swimming to the surface. This is the sort of insight that this show manages to give it's characters that I welcome, and much like Tomoe's episode had done, I find myself more understanding of why Nako was so drawn back all the time from others, since she herself treats everywhere else as uncharted territory where she has no clue where to go or how to really act when she meets anyone there (other than flee)

I'm also sort of glad that the show is making usage of one aspect that I always considered interesting, and that instead of keeping all the ideas and things she couldn't say in her head, she wrote them down, like everyone does in this show. I guess that the point of the episode wasn't so much that Nako shouldn't aspire to change, but that being current her isn't completely bad at all. In fact, her being less outgoing might have helped her along, since she managed to organize and note down her thoughts so that they would be more useful to the guests.

Overall, this episode gets a 10/10 from me. My favorite character got her episode, and it was great.

One thing that this show made me hopeful to see from P.A. Works in the future (other than dumping a certain writer for good) is that they make a film adaption of the Little Mermaid, or make a show set in an underwater world.

It would look fantastic.