View Single Post
Old 2010-11-15, 18:41   Link #1021
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by _gallo_ View Post
Personally my problem with the series so far is that I find really difficult to relate to any of all the character. I think that the writer should establish a more tight emotional link with the spectator. Because what I have seen so far is not bad, but is not so great either. I feel it lacks of emotions, it lacks of pathos and maybe more content could be filled within each episode. Besides Head, there’s not a single character which I find really interesting. Of course the series seems to develop and eventually will give lots of insights about the character and the story, but I think the writer (so Enokido, since he has wrote all the episodes until now) should have already delivered something at least to please the audience. Perhaps is not the best comparison, but in Utena there was much more character exposition thanks to the dramatic retrospective about each of the main characters. While I thought some of them to be over-dramatic, they were good. In Star Driver instead each episode instead feels too “empty”, and since we are almost at one third of the story there’s no room for setting to tone or introduction anymore.

Dunno, I liked all previous Igarashi’s anime, I even liked Soul Eater in terms of direction and animation, but I think that Star Driver does not have that “something” that makes an anime good. Hence I hope in a change in pacing or direction to happen soon.

About Head, well, he’s the only character that interests me. I want really to know why he has become what he is. His parts in each episode with the story told by Sakana-chan are my favorites.
A couple of episodes ago I might have agreed with you about the characters lacking enough depth to care about what they are doing, but I think the show is finally getting there....wherever there is going to be. Small consolation I know, but I'd advise sticking with it to at least the halfway point since it looks like the plot is finally taking off and is unlikely to go back to full on wacky hijinks as a source of filler we saw in earlier episodes. Hopefully the next set of episodes will make up a bit for any perceived wasted time early on.

To Star Driver's credit it seems to have gotten it's plot moving quicker than most 70's/80's super robot series did. There's a reason I can't watch the original Mazinger Z or Getter Robo despite my love of all the re-imaginings and spinoffs from the 90's and 2000's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
I blame Superman.

Seriously, if Superman can do it without killing Louise with his arms of steel, anyone can.
You mean Lois?
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote